Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pensar antes de Dormir

Tonight begins my trial of a self-experiment that I would like to begin of taking time to blog before I go to sleep (now that I FINALLY have internet back in my place of living).  I hope that this will begin to order my thoughts while I sleep so that I can start to master my mind more thoroughly.  A plus to this will be giving my brain problems to solve with its unconscious computing that goes on during sleep.  This is my time to cool down from the day if it has been stressful, or overly stimulating, or anything that it needs to reorient itself before recharging for the night so that sleep can be maximally restful and so my mind could be more perfectly organized, efficient, and in general, free from the cognitive dissonance that so often befalls me.

Not much on the mind right now other than the awesome StarCraft II game that I just played for the first time with Rob after buying it today.  I am locked in anticipation of my awesome weekend where I get to learn how to shoot a shotgun for the first time with the Trap and Skeet Club.  Also, I'm going to meet a bunch more people at the paintball club's first match of the academic year.  I'm noticing a correlation in all of the activities I'm choosing lately:

StarCraft, a real-time strategy game
Trap shooting
Martial Arts
Paintball...

It's like my inner warrior is tearing his way out of the built-of-cowardice cage that so long held him bound.  Granted, there are much bigger foes and challenges to face than that which a warrior faces on in terrestrial theaters, but the principles are the same.  War, whether outer or inner, is for the individual a time in which he must act often upon instinct and intuition alone.  He needs to be able to trust himself with himself by himself, yet additionally be able to lead and support his comrades, being conscious of their weaknesses, strengths, fears, amount of courage.  Awareness is key, an almost omnipresent consciousness that makes every in-the-moment detail relevant.  To become fully aware, one must first purge themselves of any distraction, or attachment as the Buddhist's would term it, any impurity of thought must be smelted out, any mental shackles broken.  The mind must first become void to then be filled with only that which is desired, just as a pitcher is useless unless first being an empty vessel.

No comments: