Tuesday, July 27, 2010

How to Fall Out of Love, Part I, Thought-Stopping

I got this book from a recommendation from a psychologist's lecture series I was listening to.  The book is called How to Fall Out of Love, and it's a nice, short, practical read.  I haven't finished it yet, because unlike the last book I read, I want to go through the step-by-step process of releases before reading the book through.  This was the first release:

Make a list.  Make a list of the best, most positive scenes and pleasures you can think of that do not involve that person... "an emotion can only be controlled or destroyed by another emotion contrary thereto, and with more power for controlling emotion."  Therefore, make a list of scenes, places, events and/or feelings that are wholly pleasurable to you, but do not involve the person you need to stop thinking about.  Your list is entirely your own.

((The list need not be memories or feelings that you have yet experienced, but I'm choosing to make them such, because then they will be more material and easier to focus on)).


  1. Swinging a hammer into a nail while balancing on the top step of a ladder that only has 3 of its feet on level ground while trying not to fall down.
  2. Executing a perfect low spin-kick and feeling the micro-shockwave from the sharp energy transfer from my core muscles, down through my quadriceps, calves, through my heel, and into the pine to shatter it in two, the entire world whirling around while I still maintain a pin-point focus on my target.
  3. Rollerblading down a parking tower late at night, balancing, trying to keep from wiping-out.  Speed.  Agility.  
  4. Staying up late til 2 AM sketching and drawing out the template for my first stained glass project, and having it turn out exactly the way that I wanted it to.  The excitement of success in an area I usually fail at, and moving past that failure and my own self-doubt to create a model for something that will be beautiful.
  5. Grilling for my first time by myself.  Finding my own firewood, building a little 'house' out of the charcoal and tinder, the *clink* of my first Zippo, lighting the fuse, and watching the coals ignite into flames, and then squirting lighter fluid directly onto the fire.  The smell of seared steak followed up with garlic bread right off the grill.
  6. Playing StarCraft via LAN while at the launch party, waiting in excitement for the release of StarCraft II.  Watching the play-by-plays of some of the best SC players in the world go head-to-head, like watching a sports game, but actually interesting and engaging. 
  7. Headbanging, rockfisting, air-guitaring, and shredding my vocal-cords out while at the Iron Maiden show.
  8. Peering through the laser-dot scope of an AR-15 and feeling the recoil of an AR-15 up against my shoulder after hitting my target dead-on.
  9. The suspense and adrenaline-pumping rush of playing capture the flag, stalking my opponents, searching the darkness for the flag, running as fast as my mind would let me over ground I could not distinguish in the shadow, and the thrill of escaping capture.
  10. Buying an awesome spring-assisted pocket knife (one that is better than the one I have, and one that I would even want for myself) as a gift for my friend, and the unquestionably genuine appreciation that she felt for it afterwards.  Another skill that I was terrible at before that I am now learning to master, the art of gift-giving.  Failure into success.
We'll stop here for now.  I really want to make more memories and reach more dreams so I can put them on this list, because it is too short for my standards.

No comments: